Monday, March 4, 2013

LAW SCHOOL GRADUATION DAY! - IT'S WITHIN SIGHT! DON'T DROP THE BALL!



On the day that I should have been donning a cap and gown on the campus of Georgetown University Law Center in Washington D.C, near the U.S. Capitol, I was, in fact, sitting in the upper deck of Memorial Stadium (left-field side, near the foul pole). It was a beautiful Baltimore/Washington area kind of day – shining sun, cool (but not cold) -- breeze blowing through the stadium. My kind of day – PLAY BALL!

The reason that I had not gone to my law school graduation is that my family was not in the area, and really didn’t want to make the 4 hour flight from San Juan, Puerto Rico to Washington, D.C.  to see me graduate from law school. Law school was my “second career.” I had been a high school teacher for some seven years before I decided to attend. I figure that my parents thought that if law school had not been my first choice, they sure weren’t going to travel from their beautiful scenic farm to watch me pick up a piece of sheepskin (they would probably tell you different, but I’m writing this essay, not them! :-) ).

 Moreover, I had no one else who knew my daily struggles as a law student and would appreciate the great accomplishment of graduating from law school and all the grit, determination, and hard work that it takes to accomplish that feat No one to share my joy and elation . . So I opted for a Sunday afternoon baseball game to watch my favorite team – The New York Yankees (a/k/a The Evil Empire) play the local Baltimore Orioles. My then girlfriend (now wife) and I took the drive down the Baltimore/Washington Parkway from Washington to Baltimore then zigged and zagged through Baltimore the quaint neighborhoods of Baltimore until we reached the old, venerable Memorial Stadium:



 This was before the era of the new “retro” ballparks and Camden Yards (the first of these new urban centered baseball parks) was still not-yet a thought in the minds of the park’s architects, HOK Sport.  It really didn’t matter to me one way or another where I was. I was at a ball game. The sun was shining. The Yankees were right there! What could be better than this? Right?? . . Well, maybe not . . . . .
­­­­----------------------
It’s been years since that beautiful sunny afternoon at Memorial Stadium, but I still think about it --- a lot. 

Truth be told, I really regret not having gone to my law school graduation ceremony. Dumb move on my part.

During law school I had worked very hard: (1) adjusting to a new way of teaching and learning; (2) changing my entire study habits and hours to conform to the rigors of this intense academic environment; (3) working AND going to classes at the same time (no small feat for me!); (4) driving an old Chevy Chevette (with no AC, no less!) cross-country from Georgetown Law in the District of Columbia all the way to the shores of the Pacific Ocean to do a Summer Internship in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles (more on that adventure in another post. . stay tuned); and, (5) meeting the challenges of a full year Criminal Justice Clinic at Georgetown with a legendary professor (Bill Greenhalgh) who would make Professor Kingsfield seem like a pussycat (he was still a wonderful man and a great Criminal Law Prof) . . .  

 . . . There is so much to tell as I look back at all the blood, sweat and tears that I endured in law school, but I hope that you get the picture.

I’ve learned through my own years in law school, and now as a law school career counselor, that if nothing else, law school graduation is a celebration of all that a law student has been through – good and bad. It is a time to sit back, breathe deeply and simply enjoy the moment (for you know that the bar exam looms right around the corner!).

So my advice to 3Ls everywhere -- as the rollercoaster ride toward graduation starts to accelerate here in early March, is:

. . . Finish strong and then celebrate all that you have accomplished. Don’t let the naysayers and the cynics throw water on your parade. You will have accomplished so much. Cheers!

Phil Guzman
------------------------------

P.S. The Yankees were absolutely “murdered” by the O’s on that day so many years ago. It serves me right for having dared to go to the game. For all you baseball geeks (like me) out there, I could not resist but include a copy of the box score of that day in May, 25, 1981 where both the Yankees and I had a very bad day:

New York
0
1
0

0
0
0

0
0
0
1
5
3
Baltimore
1
3
0

0
4
0

2
0
x
10
12
0


IP
H
R
ER
BB
SO
Guidry  L (4-3)
4.2
8
7
6
0
2
  Bird  
1.1
4
3
2
1
1
  LaRoche  
2.0
0
0
0
2
0
Totals
8.0
12
10
8
3
3

IP
H
R
ER
BB
SO
Palmer  W (3-2)
9.0
5
1
1
2
1
Totals
9.0
5
1
1
2
1


  E–Nettles (2), Revering (2), Cerone (1).  DP–New York 2, Baltimore 1.  HR–New York Jackson (6,2nd inning off Palmer 0 on, 0 out), Baltimore DeCinces 2 (4,2nd inning off Guidry 1 on, 0 out,5th inning off Bird 2 on, 2 out); Belanger (1,2nd inning off Guidry 0 on, 2 out).  SF–Dauer (2,off Guidry); Ayala (1,off LaRoche).  SB–Bumbry (11,2nd base off Guidry/Cerone).  U-HP–John Shulock, 1B–Vic Voltaggio, 2B–Bill Kunkel, 3B–Terry Cooney.  T–2:21.  A–42,949.


  

9 comments:

  1. Incredible study, I'm certain you're getting an extraordinary reaction.
    Law firms in Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  2. A statement of chapter 11 or liquidation is the exact opposite thing any business would need for itself, But it is now and then unavoidable. Nonetheless, these are unquestionably not your solitary choices. Organizations do rebuild and endure. Insolventa Anglia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Graduation is both a happy and a sad event. It certifies the fruition of the hard work the graduate invested in the pursuit of knowledge and skills, but also it marks the beginning of a possibly even more exciting phase in life. Nonetheless, it means saying goodbye to long-time friends and classmates which is saddening. Giving the graduate one more chance to be with his or her friends and classmates can be the best graduation gift you can give. With this in mind it is important to consider planning graduation party activities that will really make this occasion stand out as unforgettable. Here are some activities you could include in your special party. Graduation party in San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5 Top Usa School 2021
    Stowe Middle School is a grades 6–8. its school education is very good An online free library is provided to all students in addition to the regular library, which has a website that assists students easy .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also. US Lawyers Directory

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it, US Lawyers Directory

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel really happy to have seen your webpage and look forward to so many more entertaining times reading here. Thanks once more for all the details Law Guest Post

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this information. I really like your blog post very much. You have really shared a informative and interesting blog post with people Legal Guest Post'

    ReplyDelete